25 years ago

A Presbyterian pastor from Bay St. Louis, Miss., was leading a series of four worship services at First Presbyterian Church here. The Rev. J. Richard Jones had been pastor of the church in Bay St. Louis since 1988. The series was titled “Spirit Alive” and consisted of worship, group meals, small group discussions, home visits and prayer. 

Funeral services were held for former Henry County Judge Harold Jackson Sr., of South Highland Street. He was known for his part on a radio “Swap and Shop” program, where he called every day a “big, beautiful day in Henry County.”

Officiating at his funeral were Charles Orr and Don Ramsey. 

A crowd from Henry and Stewart counties gathered at the Tennessee River bridge for a dedication in honor of Gov. Ned Ray McWherter, for whom the bridge was named. 


50 years ago

The Paris African Violet Society met at the Holiday Inn in Murray. Mrs. Rainey Bowden conducted a business session. Mrs. Roy Smith presented a program from The African Violet Magazine. 

Murphree’s, at Clifty Road and the Camden highway, advertised country hams at 90 cents a pound; whole barbecue shoulder, $6.50 each; boiled country ham, $2 a pound, and apple and cherry cider and Benton County sorghum. 

The October report of the city building inspector revealed 23 dilapidated buildings had been destroyed and 48 others had been repaired or were undergoing repairs. 

Mrs. Carl Redmon of Paris was elected lieutenant governor of the 23rd District of Quota International at a conference in Memphis. 


75 years ago

With duck hunters looking forward to hunting on the new Kentucky Lake, questions arose over the bag limits. Daily bag limit would be 10 ducks, with a bonus of five more if all were mallards, the most plentiful species. 

Army Gen. Douglas MacArthur made good on a promise made two years earlier as he returned to the island of Leyte in the Philippines. This time he came with an armada of ships, soldiers and planes. U.S. casualties were light as the Japanese occupiers put up little resistance. MacArthur had said earlier when leaving the Philippines, “I came, and I shall return.” One war correspondent called the attack “without a doubt, the most incredible invasion of the war.”

The Grove Blue Devils kept their unbeaten record with a 13-6 victory over the previously undefeated Peabody High School team from Humboldt on Barton Field. Grove team captain Joe Davis repeatedly made lightning shots through the Rams’ line.


100 years ago

With duck season set to open Oct. 31, hunters going to Reelfoot Lake were reminded a special Reelfoot license was required there as well as the state hunting license. The season would run Nov. 1-Jan. 31. 

Dunlap Morton, who had been in Denver for several months, was returning here for a time before leaving for New Mexico, where he would winter for his health. 

The Ladies Aid of the Christian Church was again offering their homemade mincemeat for the holidays. They had been making their special recipe mincemeat for several years and had been delayed for the 1919 fall by a scarcity of apples. 

A huge apple was grown by J.F. Nored at his home on Jackson Street. It measured 13 inches around and weighed fully 1 pound. It was of the Arkansas Black variety.

Load comments